13 June 2022

Housing disrepair

Housing disrepair

Providing good quality homes is one of our top priorities. We take all reports of faults in your home very seriously and we know things don’t always go to plan, but we will always aim to resolve any issues as quickly as possible.

You can always report a repair to your home 24/7 online on the 'My Account' portal or over the phone.

Emergency repairs must be reported to us by calling 0191 278 7878.

Beware of bogus callers

We are seeing an increasing number of claims being made for housing disrepairs. Most of these are by companies who cold-call our customers encouraging people to make a claim. There has also been an increase of adverts on social media promoting the companies. These can be set up to look like they are coming direct from us so please be cautious.

These claims companies will let you believe they’re trying to help you, when really they just want to make money. Some of them will even tell you they’re supported by us or the council – which they’re not.

Legal firms make huge profits from disrepair claims. Even if your claim is successful, the legal firm will take from you a substantial amount of any damages the council agree to pay to you, in addition to any legal costs the council pay to the legal firm, leaving you with only a part of the money paid to you in damages.

If they come to your door, make sure you:

  • Always ask for identification – as you know our staff always carry ID.
  • call the police if you feel scared or threatened
  • talk to us before you sign any documents

Don’t be misled or bullied into signing anything, as you will be liable to pay fees if you change your mind. You cannot legally submit a housing disrepair claim unless you have spoken to us first.

How should I report a repair?

The best way of dealing with repairs is by contacting us directly:

You can report your repair logging onto ‘My Account’ on our website or by ringing us on 0191 278 7878 or.

Emergency repairs must be reported to us by calling 0191 278 7878.

What if I’m not satisfied with my repair?

If you want to follow up on a repair issue, or get any advice from us, we’re here to help.  Call us on 0191 278 7878.

If we’re not able to resolve your issue you can make a complaint by visiting www.yhn.org.uk/contact-us or by calling 0191 278 8600, and we’ll then look into your complaint and do our best to put it right and make sure it doesn’t happen again.

If you’re unsure what to do, please speak to us directly.



Housing disrepair
Is this page useful?
Is this page useful?