We will carry out regular fire safety inspections of your home to ensure it is safe for you and your family.
It is very important that you take steps to prevent home fires from occurring.
Tips for keeping you and your family safe:
Plugs: Turn off appliance plugs when not in use.
Doors: Do not leave a fire door open and never disconnect an automatic closer.
Appliances: Do not leave appliances running when no one is home.
Smoking: Do not smoke in bed and always fully put out cigarettes.
Smoke alarm: Test your smoke alarm weekly and do not cover or remove.
BBQs: In flats with a balcony, do not hold a BBQ on your balcony.
Cooking: Do not leave cooking unattended.
Belongings: A tidy home with fewer belongings can reduce the risk of a fire spreading.
Candles: Do not leave candles unattended and always put out fully.
Matches: Store matches and lighters in a safe place away from children.
Sockets: Do not overload electrical sockets and switch them off when not in use.
Flammable materials: Do not store anything flammable, such as petrol, in your home.
If you have any fire safety concerns, please contact us on 0191 278 8600.
It is important that you prepare for the unlikely event of a fire and have an evacuation plan for yourself and your family. Some general advice includes:
- If there is a fire in your home, get out quickly.
- If there is smoke, keep low to the ground.
- If possible close doors behind you to prevent the spread of smoke and fire.
- Get yourself and any other family members to safety.
- Call 999.
- Do not re-enter the building.
If you can't escape:
- Get everyone into one room and close the door.
- Smoke and fumes can kill people quickly, so put bedding or towels along the bottom of any doors to seal the gap.
- Open the window and stay near it for fresh air and to let firefighters see you.
- Shout for help so neighbours can offer assistance and call the fire brigade.
- If you are on the ground or first floor, you may be able to escape from a window.
- If you must break the window, cover the jagged glass with towels or thick bedding.
- Do not stop or go back in for any reason.
Need more information?
If you have any questions or concerns about the safety of your building or property, please let us know by emailing email@example.com or calling 0191 278 8600. In an emergency, such as a fire, you should call 999.